Each year there are approx. 7,000 calls to fire departments due to injury or property damage due to BBQ grills.
Here's a couple of tips to help you and your loved ones stay safe.
1. Establish a child and pet free zone - Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the cooking area.
2. Check the connections on gas grills to make sure they are hooked up correctly and are not leaking.
3. Check the grill, housing and bottom for cracks.
4. Work on a non-flammable surface (concrete patio, asphalt, etc.).
5. Keep the grill at least 5 feet from any structure, 10 is better. Many house fires start because of flame ups that reach the patio cover above, the roof overhang or fence.
6. Never leave the grill unattended.
7. Keep the grill clean and practice sanitary food handling.
Have a great summer!